JAMES Jordan has called Strictly Come Dancing winner Stacey Dooley a "complete mess".

The BBC documentary maker triumphed during tonight's live final and claimed the glitterball trophy with her professional partner, Kevin Clifton.

However James, who was a pro dancer on the BBC show for seven years, was unimpressed by the couple's show dance to Land of A Thousand Dances by Wilson Pickett.

Taking to Twitter to give his critique of the four finalists performances, the 40-year-old didn't mince his words when it came to Stacey.

He said of the 31-year-old's routine: "mmmmm I normally love Kevin's choreography but I just didn't get this at all.

"A show dance for me should be full of lifts and an exciting mix of dances.

"It was a complete mess and didn't understand the beginning AT ALL. NOT GOOD FOR EVEN A NON DANCER."

James - who left the show after the 2013 series - wasn't alone in his thoughts, as judge Craig Revel Horwood was also unimpressed by the performance on the night and gave the couple an eight.

However it wasn't all bad news for Stacey, as James had a few nicer things to say about her judges' choice routine, tweeting: "Great job with a nice fun routine, she picks her feet up too much and is too loose in her frame but I understand because it's the final and won't be mentioned.

"I still really enjoyed the dance but not amazing. I know she's the people's favourite just not for me."

Stacey and Kevin completed their three routines with their favourite dance, the Paso Doble, and James seemed to agree it was their best.

He tweeted: "This was one of their best dances and the music was fantastic.

"Kevin created a clever routine and it was just totally entertaining #Strictly they will be lifting the trophy for sure."