Early last year, Wes Craven revealed that a third installment in "The Hills Have Eyes" franchise was being discussed. Obviously nothing happened. So when I rant into the director yesterday during the press junket for "My Soul to Take" (in theaters October 8th), I (Alex) asked for an update.

"That was during the period where we were developing lots of ideas," he explained. "Since we own that franchise, some of the partners were very interested in doing that and I have an idea for it. But then we went off with another writer, and he developed things, and we did pitches, and it never worked out. And I came to an epiphany that you can generate your own totally original things and that's what you should be doing with your time."

So, is the franchise dead? "I don't know if it's dead or not, but I have no real interest in doing another remake," said Craven. "If I have a choice between doing that and doing something original, [a remake] just doesn't make any sense for me. In order to do it right, you spend a lot of time developing the script and finding the director and then keeping an eye on post-production. You spend almost as much time as if you were making your own film. So why not make your own film?"

Since Craven owns the property and has no interest in developing another installment, I asked if he would consider selling the rights to it again for another filmmaker to tackle it. "I don't know, I just don't think about it frankly," he said.

Regarding the idea that he had for the third film, the director previously explained: "I'd like to flip it and have [the mutants] integrated a little into our society and run into prejudice."

Source WorstPreviews.com