The Steven Soderbergh of the Japanese animation world, Hayao Miyazaki, is reportedly out of retirement for at least the second time, working on a period-set manga comic
Reports of Japanese animation icon Hayao Miyazaki's retirement may have been greatly exaggerated. The one-time head of Studio Ghibli, director of masterpieces such as Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, is said to be working on a new samurai-themed manga comic set in Japan's "Warring States" period.
The news that the 72-year-old film-maker is continuing to draw was broken by Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki on the Japanese TV show Sekai-ichi Uketai Jugyō. "I think he will serialise a manga," said Suzuki when asked how Miyazaki was enjoying his retirement. "From the beginning, he likes drawing about his favourite things. That's his stress relief." Suzuki then confirmed the project's Warring States setting, but added: "He'll get angry if I talk too much. Let's stop talking about this."
Studio Ghibli revealed in September at the Venice film festival that Miyazaki, who won an Oscar for Spirited Away in 2001, had made his final movie. The slightly controversial Wind Rises has been named on the longlist for next year's animation Oscar.

However, Miyazaki also "retired" in the wake of international success for Princess Mononoke in 1997, but returned to direct Spirited Away four years later. He also stepped in to take charge of Howl's Moving Castle in 2004 when original director Mamoru Hosoda unexpectedly quit the production. At a press conference for new Studio Ghibli film The Tale of Princess Kaguya, director Isao Takahata revealed that even the animation icon's erstwhile collaborators were not convinced by his latest departure from the spotlight.
"Miyazaki is still here, so I haven't even thought of that." Takahata said, when asked to explain what it was like at Ghibli without its most famous face. "I guess [Miyazaki] has watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya, but I haven't heard any comments from him."
He added: "[Miyazaki] said, 'This time, I am serious,' but I think there is a decent chance that may change. I think so, since I've known him a long time. Don't be at all surprised if that happens."