Today kicks off the ninth annual New York Comic Con and Screen Rant will not only be in attendance, but a part of the show. This year, we partnered with independent film producer Adi Shankar for a special panel.

The panel, “Adi Shankar: Trigger Warning” will provide Comic Con attendees with a glimpse into the mind of one of Hollywood’s most successful young producers, as well as the creative force behind the popular “bootleg” shorts Dirty Laundry and Truth in Journalism.

We caught up with Shankar before NYCC to talk about the panel. Check out our (humorous) conversation below.

-

In the description for your panel, you say it will be a “brutally honest and unfiltered Q&A session.” What should your fans expect to see?

I’m a very very serious person and I would appreciate it if the fans would not laugh. I cry a lot too … so there may be some light crying. I’ve also in the past been known to read passages from 50 Shades of Grey in public.

Honestly though, this is my feeble attempt to replicate what Kevin Smith did with An Evening with Kevin Smith.

You’ve built a lot of credibility in the fan community through your “bootleg universe” short films. Why do you think audiences have connected with these films so much?

My mom purchased all the views for me. She felt bad.

Ryan Kwanten Venom Truth in Journalism Dredd Producer Adi Shankar to Preview Dark Judges Miniseries at #NYCC
Ryan Kwanten as Venom in ‘Truth in Journalism’

Why is it important to have fan films or “bootlegs” like yours to counter-balance the mainstream movies?

I was worried that mainstream movies were getting too good. It’s important to make things that aren’t as good to give other people a chance. Also, re-interpreting our cultural icons from a different lens is important to me.

Comic book movies have never been more mainstream. I mean, Disney owns Marvel. That’s a good thing, right?

Honestly, I don’t know. I do know that as a life long YA fan, I’m yearning for more Young Adult adaptations…it’s the cinematic air I breathe.

There might not be a more enthusiastic fanbase in the world than Dredd fans. What does it mean to you to see that kind of support?

It makes me want to remake DEMOLITION MAN from Mr. Snipes’ point of view oh and sometimes I feel like this.

Dredd Miniseries Dark Judges Dredd Producer Adi Shankar to Preview Dark Judges Miniseries at #NYCC

Earlier in the week, we learned that you were planning to release a Dredd ‘Dark Judges’ miniseries online. Can we expect a sneak peek at NYCC?

Yes. Hell yes.

-

MORE: Dredd Online Miniseries Details