Chris Pratt is one of the breakout stars of 2014. His year got off to a good start with a voiceover role in the acclaimed The LEGO Movie, but his career really took off this past summer when he transformed into an action star and portrayed Peter Quill/Star-Lord in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy – a film that, as of this writing, is the highest-grossing movie of the year domestically and the second highest-grossing worldwide.

Pratt and his Guardians co-stars are set to be major players in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we progress through Phase 3, with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 hitting theaters in May 2017 (kicking off that summer movie season) and the team allegedly having a “significant” role in The Avengers: Infinity War. Marvel obviously wants to capitalize on the popularity of these characters, but will we see them beyond the movies?

If the actor has his way, then we just might. While doing press for the final season of NBC’s Parks and Recreation, Pratt spoke with Zap2it where he addressed whether or not he’d be game for an appearance in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:

“I wouldn’t rule it out. Marvel would have to decide, but if it made sense for the brand and for the story, yeah, sure.”

Previously, other Marvel movie stars like Robert Downey, Jr. have stated that they wouldn’t mind doing a cameo part in a S.H.I.E.L.D. episode, but we’ve yet to see an Avenger show up on the small screen at this point in the series’ run. Whether it’s the salaries Marvel would have to pay these thespians or narrative practicality, the team has decided they’re better off focusing on their cast of agents – something that has been leading to positive results creatively.

One would think that Pratt showing up would give the show a ratings boost, but that would probably be at the sacrifice of coherent storytelling. Star-Lord and his friends are off in another galaxy and by all accounts have no reason to come to Earth at this stage in the MCU. Hence, Pratt qualified his statement with the “made sense” bit, as even he’s aware of the continuity issues it could raise.

And, as we all know, the Marvel brand is in no need for a stunt like this to raise its profile. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. producers would probably like to see the show draw in more viewers, but it’s doing okay during its second season. When it comes to the movies, Marvel has never been better, as both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians received a very positive reception from critics and audiences. With The Avengers: Age of Ultron being released soon, that reception could grow even more.

As fun as it would be to see Pratt (or any of his Guardians co-stars) show up for a guest appearance on Marvel’s flagship TV program, it just doesn’t add up when you look at the big picture. If the showrunners ever want to go this route, they’d most likely choose one of the Earth-bound heroes (like Stark) as long as it fit with the story they were trying to tell. Marvel is known for intricately planning their shared universe to the most minute detail, so they have a sharp handle on what makes sense for them.

What say you, Screen Ranters? Would you like to see Star-Lord (or any other Marvel movie hero) make a guest appearance in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Sound off in the comments below!

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesdays @9pm. on ABC. Guardians of the Galaxy will be out on Blu-ray on December 9, 2014.