Since Netflix and Marvel unveiled the new hit series Daredevil, fans and critics alike have been vocal about the show’s successful take on the darker, grittier hero who manages to fit into the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe while still maintaining a sense of autonomy. We, along with the show’s characters, know the Avengers are out there in the ‘world on fire’ – they’re just somewhere beyond the burning corners of Hell’s Kitchen.

Lead star, Charlie Cox, has been quite vocal himself about both the show’s foreseeable and unforeseeable future, and where he wants to take the character moving forward.

With a second season officially confirmed – as well as a planned Defenders team-up – Daredevil will be busy battling enemies on the small screen. But that hasn’t stopped Cox from expressing interest in and excitement for an appearance on the silver screen. While speaking to IGN, the actor touched briefly on the topic of a standalone film:

Yeah that would be awesome – I’d love to do that… And usually when you’ve got a two-hour movie, it’s action-packed, and so I think that’s one of the things that the show has really benefitted from – having that extra time to really get to know and sit with these characters and see them as humans. But I’d love to see ‘Daredevil’ on the big screen again. It would be great. And if I could be involved with that, I’d be thrilled.

As Cox hinted at, one of the primary reasons the show has struck such a chord with audiences is its ability to balance thrilling and expertly choreographed action set pieces with equally engaging and emotionally complex character moments. The long dialogue sequences allow viewers to catch their breath following the exhilarating and exhausting fight scenes. So the question then becomes, is a solo film really necessary for the hero’s journey? Or is television a more suitable format to explore his development?

Certainly the juxtaposition of Cox’s grounded Daredevil with the more embellished Iron Man and Thor would be fun to see (understatement). And cameo appearances in the upcoming Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War would certainly be appreciated by fans (understatement part two). But the need for a solo film along with the TV show – which could be in its third season by the time a movie is even considered – is questionable, especially when Marvel would arguably benefit more from exploring new superheroes on the big screen.

So far, Netflix has given us characters we want to spend time with – preferably more than two hours. And unlike other villains who have recently appeared onscreen, Wilson Fisk’s Kingpin is a rich, dynamic, and inherently tragic foil to Matt Murdock’s Daredevil. The arc and development of their relationship is one that requires time for growth, as do the relationships between Mattl, Foggy, and Karen.

That isn’t to say Marvel’s cinematic characters are not as fully-rendered or engaging, but it is interesting to consider what it would ultimately be like to see Thor and Loki or Captain America and Red Skull explored in a 13-episode format.

Daredevil season 1 is available now on Netflix.