Cara Delevingne is being considered for the role of a villain in upcoming supervillain movie, Suicide Squad.

The British supermodel, 22, has reportedly been lined-up to play the Joker's accomplice and lover Harley Quinn in the Warner Bros film.

The character first appeared in the Batman stories and also features in recent tales about the Suicide Squad (also known as Task Force X), who take on dangerous black op missions for the government.

Delevingne posted a picture of herself dressed as Harley on Instagram earlier this month and Latino Review reported that "Warner is seriously looking at [her] for the villainous female role in the film".

Early drafts of the Suicide Squad script are not believed to have included Harley, but things seem to have changed, and Fury filmmaker David Ayer is on board to write and direct.

"I love the passion [comic book fans] have for these characters and these worlds," he said recently. "The mythology that these characters represent – the idea of them as fallen gods on Earth – is intriguing to me. I can't wait to start exploring those corridors."

Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling and Will Smith are among actors rumoured for roles, with Jesse Eisenberg set to reprise his Batman v Superman part as megalomaniac Lex Luthor.

The film is scheduled for an August 2016 release, although the date is subject to change.

Elsewhere, Delevingne could be starring in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and will take up a minor part in Joe Wright’s fantasy Pan.

She will next be seen in psychological thriller The Face of an Angel, based on the Amanda Knox murder case, alongside Kate Beckinsale and Daniel Bruhl.

Delevingne has also landed her first lead role in a forthcoming film adaptation of John Green's bestselling novel, Paper Towns.