Of the many newly announced Marvel Studios productions on the way to theaters over the next four years, the one that’s garnering the most attention at the moment is the first chapter of Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man conclude Phase 2 next summer and the following May, Chris Evans and co. suit up for Captain America: Civil War.

This third Captain America solo movie isn’t a solo movie at all and not only does it see the return of The Winter Soldier characters - and other Avengers - but a certain memorable villain will return in a big way. Frank Grillo’s Hydra officer Brock Rumlow was a highlight of Cap 2, and just barely survived the film’s final battle, escaping with severe burns. He’ll be back for Civil War.

With Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) joining the Captain America: Civil War cast, the primary conflict will be the battle of ideals between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, but there will be more traditional villains as well. As we learned last week, Daniel Bruhl (Rush) has joined the cast as an unknown supporting antagonist who is reportedly being introduced for an even larger role in Doctor Strange later in 2016, but all signs point towards Rumlow being the film’s “main” villain, this time evolving into the character we know as Crossbones. This was all part of the plan and why Marvel signed Grillo to a multi-picture deal.

Captain America and Crossbones Vol 1 1 cover Captain America 3: Frank Grillo on Getting Scanned For His Crossbones Costume
Crossbones

Speaking with EW, Grillo reiterates his previous statements that The Winter Soldier was just an origin story for his character.

“[The Winter Soldier] was only a taste of what’s to come with the next film, and I couldn’t be more humbled and excited.”

Grillo is as excited as ever to be able to return to the character and see him transform into the villain fans will know from Marvel Comics. He explains that he just recently got the call from Marvel, asking what shape he’s in so they can do a body scan in order to custom fit and craft his new costume.

“He’s a badass. He is just vicious. I like the idea that it’s no holds barred. I was 15 pounds bigger when I did Cap 2, and I’ll put another 15 pounds on to do Cap 3. I love the physicality. It changes the way you look; it changes the way you feel. We all know what Crossbones represents in his world, so when they called me and said we gotta do the body scan, I was like ‘Okay!’”

We can expect new costumes all around, especially for Captain America himself (The Winter Soldier “stealth suit” is still ours and Chris Evans’ favorite!) and his pal, Falcon (Anthony Mackie). With Iron Man appearing as well, and potentially many other Avengers characters, we may see a lot more costumes. That’s what fans love to see and what the kids want to collect at the toy store.

Captain America 2 Frank Grillo Crossbones Brock Rumlow Strike 2 1024x682 Captain America 3: Frank Grillo on Getting Scanned For His Crossbones Costume
Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow

Excited to see Grillo return with a new outfit and mask? Is he a worthy adversary of Steve Rogers?

NEXT: ‘The Avengers 2′ Extended Trailer

The Avengers: Age of Ultron releases in theaters on May 1, 2015, followed by Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America: Civil War on May 6 2016, Doctor Strange on November 4, 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 5 2017, Thor: Ragnarok on July 28, 2017, Black Panther on November 3 2017, Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 on May 4 2018, Captain Marvel on July 6 2018, Inhumans on November 2 2018 and Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2 on May 3 2019.

Follow Rob on Twitter rob_keyes for your Marvel movie and TV news!