Ben Affleck has revealed that his portrayal of Batman in the forthcoming Man Of Steel sequel will not try to compete with Christian Bale's.

Bale played Bruce Wayne in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of Batman films, but the sequel to Man Of Steel will see Affleck take on the role of Gotham's vigilante crimefighter opposite Henry Cavill's Superman. Affleck's casting has been controversial in some quarters, with a petition started by fans to remove him from the role collecting over 30,000 signatures.

Speaking to Playboy, Affleck said: "I don"t want to give away too much, but the idea for the new Batman is to redefine him in a way that doesn't compete with Bale and Christopher Nolan's Batman but still exists within the Batman canon. It will be an older and wiser version, particularly as he relates to Henry Cavill's Superman character."

He went on to add that he had been initially uncertain about the part, revealing: "When they asked if I would be Batman, I told them I don't see myself in the role and I was going to have to beg off. They said I'd fit well into how they were going to approach the character and asked me to look at what the writer-director, Zack Snyder, was doing. The stuff was incredible. It was a unique take on Batman that was still consistent with the mythology."

Director Zack Snyder will start shooting Batman v Superman in Michigan early next year (2014). Alongside Cavill as Superman and Affleck as Batman, Amy Adams is confirmed to be returning as Lois Lane and her Man Of Steel castmates Diane Lane and Laurence Fishburne have also inked deals to reprise their roles. Warner Bros has given the film - whose official title has yet to be confirmed - a release date of July 17, 2015.