Atomic Blonde director David Leitch says his team is working hard on coming up with a great sequel concept. Charlize Theron likes to jump around different genres and is just as comfortable in a silly comedy as a serious, Oscar-worthy drama. She gained a whole new fanbase in 2015 thanks to Mad Max: Fury Road, where she played fearless warrior Imperator Furiosa. The character quickly became a fan favorite, and Theron was offered a lot more action roles.

This included the main villain of The Fate of the Furious and the lead role in spy thriller Atomic Blonde. The latter movie was adapted from a graphic novel and found Theron as a British spy in 1989 Berlin on the trail of a rogue agent. While the film was criticized for its somewhat confusing plot, Theron’s steely performance and the fantastic action was more than enough to earn the movie a fanbase. Its gruelling stairwell fight scene, in particular, was considered one of the best action sequences of 2017.

Atomic Blonde director David Leitch is a very busy man at the moment; he’s currently promoting Deadpool 2, and will soon start work on Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw. He’s also developing a sequel to Atomic Blonde, and recently gave a quick update on the project to Fandango:

I think that we’re really trying hard to come up with concepts. We’re still working. There’s a lot of ideas floating around of what the sequel could be, and I think people would love to see Lorraine on another mission. I know I would.

Given the twist ending of Atomic Blonde, there are plenty of interesting new missions Theron’s Lorraine could find herself on. With Leitch busy on Hobbs & Shaw, it will realistically be at least 3 years before a sequel can happen. That said, the extra development time should allow the team to come up with a strong hook for a follow-up, and give Theron the time needed to train for more punishing fight scenes.

While fans would like an Atomic Blonde sequel, one thing they’d really love is a Furiosa spinoff. Sadly, a nasty lawsuit between director George Miller and Warner Bros means that won’t happen anytime soon, if at all. Miller is suing for a bonus he claims Warners owes his production company, while the studio states that since the sequel went over budget they don’t owe him anything. Neither side is budging on the argument, and while Miller says he has two more Mad Max scripts ready to go, nothing will happen until the case is settled.