DEC Donnelly spent yesterday in constant contact with regular co-star Ant McPartlin, desperate to ensure his best pal was not offended as he and stand-in Holly Willoughby addressed his absence from I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!

The new hosting duo, who appeared live on-screen together for the first time, rehearsed several different script options before running them by Ant – and waited until just moments before the show to see “what felt right” before making their final dialogue decision.

Insiders say the pair were determined to ensure they hit the right note without upsetting their missing pal.

The duo joked about the new presenting line-up, but didn’t directly namecheck Ant in the opening of the show . . .

DEC: “Good evening and welcome to Australia, where the more eagle-eyed viewers among you would have already noticed a big change to this year’s show. Yes, one of the most gorgeous presenters on British television has been joined by Holly Willoughby. Hey! Holly’s here everybody!”

HOLLY: “Hi. This is so weird.”

DEC: “Welcome to the jungle."

HOLLY: “Thank you. Normally about this time I’m at home pouring myself a big glass of white wine to watch you.”

DEC: “And tonight she’s already drunk it. It’s a little bit different because I’ve never done it with a girl before. I usually do it with a bloke. Every night. People seem to like it.”

It comes as troubled Ant, who turned 43 yesterday, jetted off on holiday to a secret sunshine escape with his new girlfriend Anne-Marie Corbett, 42, for the duration of the three week show.

Holly agreed to step in last month after Ant shelved all TV work April following a drink-drive conviction, in order to spend time recovering from alcohol and prescription drug issues.

A TV insider said: “The pressure was on in the opening scene to both introduce Holly and explain Ant’s absence from the series for the time in 16 years, but also keep it light and funny for the family show.

“Dec was sure to keep Ant in the loop on that particular link as he didn’t want to seem at all insensitive, but the discussions with the production team about the exact wording were taken right to the wire.

“Everyone felt the pressure was on to hit just the right note, without an uncomfortable situation coming across that way on-screen and several suggestions were scrapped along the way.

“Ultimately, what’s happened with Ant is really sad and serious, but the show must go on.”

Ironically, Dec jokingly introduced Ant as the “gorgeous Holly Willoughby” on last year’s I’m A Celeb opener after fears he may not be able to join him in Australia, before turning to Ant and saying: “Sorry but nobody was sure if you would make it or not.

"We didn’t know if you’d be here.”

Earlier in the day Ant posted a heartfelt message of support to the pair on his shared Twitter account with Dec.

He wrote: “@antanddec. All the very best of luck to the little fella and @hollywills for the show tonight. Lots of love from the big fella!! A #ImACeleb Xxxxxx”

Meanwhile, Dec used the duo’s joint Instagram page to wish his pal a happy birthday posting a snap of the pair dressed up as Simpsons cartoon characters with the caption: “Happy Birthday Homer. Love, Marge x.”

Holly’s presence on the show has gone down a storm with crew members excited by the new talent.

A backstage source said: “There is a lot of excitement about Holly joining the team, she has brought something new into the show and has been lovely to all the crew members backstage - from wardrobe to catering.

"There are no airs and graces and she is eating with all the staff in the main catering tent, rather than in her dressing room.

“She’s been getting on really well with Dec who is an old mate and their chemistry on-screen from the pre-filmed segments has been really natural.

“Holly’s terrified of all the creepy crawlies in the jungle, but rather than cause an issue it’s added to the anticipation during live segments and everyone is really excited to see if she’ll jump or squeal when the show is on air.”

It was business as usual last night as the contestants were thrown into a series of wacky challenges, including jumping out of a plane, walking a plank 100 ft above ground, and swimming on a raft to make it into camp.

They split into two teams, with the winners ending up in a base camp, with an evening meal and exception from the first two Bushtucker trials and the losers landing in Croc Creek, with no beds and basics rations of rice and means.

Despite being in the winning team ex-football coach Harry Redknapp, who has never watched the show before, was left unimpressed by his new dwellings and dinner of emu.

The 71-year-old said: “My God, that’s pretty basic isn’t it.

"There’s not a lot there is there? I must be honest I thought it would be a lot more luxurious than what it is.

Love I'm A Celeb? Play our new game The Jungle now - win daily prizes and a holiday worth Ł5K

“I thought there’d be a cheese roll in there but they said it was emu. I didn’t even think people ate emu. I’ve got to be honest, I don’t think I can eat emu.

“I’ve got to be honest, I thought there was a caravan round the back here where they were doing bacon sandwiches.

"There will be an ‘OK, OK time out, let’s all go round and have a coffees, bacon sandwich, sausage sandwich, alright back on set’ but no that ain’t happening is it?”