While Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is on its midseason break, ABC will be airing the 8-episode limited series Agent Carter. Following Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), the show develops the character’s story after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger. The series’ first two episodes aired last night and featured plenty of nods to other entries in the Marvel’s Cinematic Universe, as well as the comics.

Though Agent Carter may have been a step up for Marvel television in terms of quality – read our review of the premiere – the show’s female empowerment message may have been a bit dated. However, in terms of viewership, ABC and Marvel’s second outing seemed to prove successful.

TVLine is reporting the Agent Carter two-hour premiere averaged 6.9 million total viewers along with a 1.9 rating among adults 18-49. Although CBS’s NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans were the top-rated programs of the night, Agent Carter was a solid second in both the 8pm and 9pm timeslots.

Comparatively, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s most recent episode, the midseason finale, was watched by 5.3 million people and received a demo rating of 1.7. Agent Carter also improved upon the numbers held by Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s second season premiere: 5.98 million viewers.

These higher ratings could be attributed to a number of factors: the accompanying Ant-Man trailer, less competition while many other shows are still on hiatus, marketing helped along by Marvel’s clout, the event-style premiere, and the Agent Carter’s claim as Marvel Studio’s first female-led property – to name a few.

However, whether or not Agent Carter will hold on those who watched the premiere still remains to be seen. The ratings will of course take a hit as many series do after the premiere. But, if Agent Carter retains a strong viewership, it’s possible the series may be renewed for another season – according the show’s star at least.

Agent Carter returns next Tuesday with “Time & Tide” on ABC @8PM.