May Edition

Welcome to the May edition of the Waffles.fm Staff Picks. Please remember we do not look to balance genres or purposely seek out diversity - these are simply albums by bands that we love, and hope that you find something you enjoy as well. Note that each pick may be an individual track, or an entire album (for the purpose of the theme). In every case, however, the entire album will be FL.

Theme: Mayhem

420billy

Artist: Therapist
Album: Anagrams
Track: Noise/Mayday

(Frosted) Jake = 3%

Get It Here

icebox

Artist: The Go! Team
Album: The Scene Between
Track: Reason Left To Destroy

Audio mayhem on the highlighted track, though I don't know what Ian wants to destroy. Other awesome tracks on this one include the title track and "The Art of Getting By" And Ian tapped indie pop songstress Samira Winter for the opening track, which is way cool in my book. If you've never seen The Go! Team you MUST go; they are a force of nature live. (And check out Winter too, though her band is not a force of nature live).

Get It Here

izmo

Artist: The Anniversary
Album: Designing a Nervous Breakdown
Track: All Things Ordinary

It would be mayhem if I didn't pick this. Because moogs. Which I pronounced wrong for many years.
(I am causing mayhem by not following the theme)
Anyway if you've gone the 15+ years without encountering this album, I guess you're about ready.

Get It Here

medicalfools

Artist: The Gerogerigegege
Album: Tokyo Anal Dynamite

The Gerogerigegege (ザ・ゲロゲリゲゲゲ) is a music project created in 1985 in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan by Juntaro Yamanouchi, who runs and maintains the Vis A Vis record label in Japan. The name of the group combines the Japanese words for "vomit" (gero) and "diarrhoea" (geri) with what is supposedly the sound of these actions occurring simultaneously (gegege). It has also been transliterated to mean "barf, diarrhoea, ha ha ha," although "ge" is also variously an onomatopoetic word of disgust or exasperation, making the name open to several differing interpretations. To describe the group, Yamanouchi has used the term "Japanese Ultra Shit Band."

Get It Here

Sowilo

Artist: Mayhem
Album: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

I don't listen to as much metal as I once did and I was never a big Mayhem fan. But come on−someone has to pick the band called Mayhem! It's a matter of principle.

Get It Here

condon313

Artist: Mayhem
Album: Esoteric Warfare

Mayhem has the Metal holy grail of murder, suicide, and church arson going for it. The adorable stage names likes 'Hellhammer' and 'Death' are just icing.

Get It Here

nomado

Artist: Amorphis
Album: Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Track: Magic and Mayhem

Amorphis is always nice doom metal!

Get It Here

lostsupper

Artist: Municipal Waste
Album: Hazardous Mutation

This whole album rules.

Get It Here