According to Canal Tech, thousands of Brazilian internet users who downloaded movies via torrent files were the subject of extrajudicial charges of between 3,000 and 5,000 reais in October.

The accounts refer to downloads of “ Hellboy, ” “ Rambo: Until the End ” and “ Invasion to the Secret Service, ” all released in 2019.

Apparently, those responsible for copyright of productions are asking for compensation for losses caused by the practice of piracy.

Representatives of the studios of each film were able to get in touch with Internet users through their phone companies, who were forced to share registration information from clients involved in the controversy.

The request was made in March this year and was pending in the São Paulo Court of Justice until September, when Claro granted the data to avoid daily fines amounting to R 10,000. $ per day.

In an interview with the portal, one of the customers (who did not have his identity revealed) said he did not know what had happened because he uses a P2P connection, a service shared with other people.

“I never thought that would happen to me. My concern was to resolve the case because the account was in my mom’s name, but I know it wasn’t her because I don’t remember doing any of those downloads and using the P2P network. I was also wondering how they had access to all of our information when they sent the notification. “

The user screening agency also provides services to the US producer Millenium Media, which owns the copyrights of the films mentioned through subsidiaries called Fallen Productions, HB Productions and Rambo V Productions.

In addition to these films, downloads of other titles are also being analyzed, such as “Dallas Shopping Club”, “Colossal”, “Privacy Invasion”, “Explosive Duo”, among several more recent releases.

On the other hand, experts from the Pirate Party of Brazil have claimed that profiteers known as copyright trolls also benefit from false legal notices involving copyright in order to make a profit.

In any case, it is necessary to research and contact the agency that issued the notifications so as not to suffer from attacks by hackers and profiteers.

Keeping in mind that downloading films, series and books is not considered a crime in the Brazilian penal code if the intention is individual consumption.

But it is considered a crime to profit from the provision of any type of work without the permission of the owners, and the penalty can range from three months to one year in prison.