A new setting in Snapchat will prevent stories from loading while you're out and about, potentially saving you from costly overages.

Earlier this week Snapchat updated its mobile apps with a couple of new features, one of which the company calls Travel Mode.

When enabled, this new feature will prevent content from things like Stories from automatically loading in the background when your smartphone is on a cellular connection. Meaning this could potentially save you money by helping avoid overages.

The only problem with the feature is that it's hidden within Snapchat's settings screen.

Before you follow the steps below, make sure you have the latest version of Snapchat by launching your respective app store and checking for updates.

Here's where you can find the Travel Mode setting:

http://i.imgur.com/G8jQ26c.png

To enable:

From the main screen of the app, swipe down to reveal your Snapcode. Tap the Settings icon.

Scroll down and select Manage just beneath the Additional Services section.

Tap on the box next to Travel Mode.

The first time I activated this mode on my Android device, the app force closed and I eventually had to delete and reinstall the app; just a warning should you experience the same, odd behavior.

In theory, with this setting enabled Snapchat should take a more conservative approach toward gobbling up your mobile data while traveling.