A WAITROSE lorry driver helped stop two moped thieves being chased by police after a cop was injured in Lawless London, stunned witnesses claim.

The two suspects were being pursued by police in Catford, South London, after smashing into officers on patrol.

But the Waitrose driver is said to have collided with the moped as it was being chased - helping foil the teens as they were trying to flee.

Cops arrested a 15-year-old after he attempted to run away on foot but a second suspect is still on the run.

The teen is currently being quizzed on suspicion of robbery, aggravated taking and driving away, assault on police, assault on police and failing to stop.

Footage posted on Twitter shows the moped, which had been stolen, on its side at the Waitrose lorry at the side of the road.

A police car and ambulance can also been seen while stunned locals watch the drama.

Twitter user @danielleDASH, who posted the video, said: "Hi @waitrose is it the policy of your company to encourage your HGV lorry drivers to use their vehicles to crash into alleged moped thieves?

"The two young men fled the scene after the violent act and we are unsure of the severity of their injuries."

Shocked residents told Sun Online they heard a "loud bang" as the lorry slammed into the fleeing suspects.

Maria, 40, said: "The Waitrose van just drove into them. I personally don’t think he should have done it."

While Mum Kay Sloane, 36, said: “It was really frightening. I was putting the children to bed at around 8:15 when I heard this almighty bang. My husband thought it was thunder.

“The moped crashed into the police man on his bike first – how he’s not killed anyone or himself I don’t know.

“What would have happened if I was going out or coming in with the children?

“The Waitrose driver swerved into them to stop them. The driver’s intentions weren’t malicious he just wanted to stop them.”

The Metropolitan Police confirmed an officer's leg was injured after his own bike landed on his leg when the men drove into him.

They also said the bike was reported stolen earlier in the day and has since been recovered.

A spokesperson added: "At approximately 20.20hrs on Wednesday 1 August two officers on police motorcycles were on patrol in Brownhill Road SE6 when they spotted a moped carrying two passengers.

"As the police riders queued in slow moving traffic the rider of moped sped up and drove directly at the officers, knocking him to the ground whereby his own bike landed on his right leg, causing injuries.

"The moped then made off along Brownhill Road where it was in collision with a lorry.

"The lorry and driver were inspected by officers form the Met's Commercial Vehicle Unit and the driver was not reported for any offences and he has fully cooperated with the investigation.

"The injured officer was was treated at the scene by London Ambulance service and is now off duty recovering at home."

Waitrose did not wish to comment.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0208 284 8365 or 101. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.