BRITAIN’S most notorious paedophile campaigner was treated to a plush champagne bash at the House of Lords.

Twice-jailed Tom O’Carroll, 73, was among up to 60 guests who were thanked last December for donating money to a children’s book charity.

He was chairman of the Paedophile Information Exchange, which fought in the 1970s and ’80s to legalise sex with kids.

Speaking at his one-bedroom flat in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, he bragged: “I was kind of a guest of honour. A few years ago I did give a pretty substantial amount. I was invited by one of the members of the Lords, who is patron or chairman.”

Book Aid International, which provides books for children in sub-Saharan Africa, said it was unaware of O’Carroll’s past and has launched an investigation.

The charity said he had given less than £500 in three instalments since 2015, which has been refunded.

A spokesman for the House of Lords said: “Parliament takes its safeguarding responsibilities towards children, young people and vulnerable adults very seriously.

Our safeguarding policy has been developed to ensure we provide a safe environment and fulfil our safeguarding responsibilities.

“The event sponsored by Lord Boateng, on behalf of Book Aid International, met the rules regarding the use of banqueting facilities in the House of Lords.

"Those who were invited to attend the event went through airport-style security on entry to the estate and were not left unsupervised.

"As Book Aid International has made clear, no children were present at the event.

“The organisation arranging an event and the member who sponsors it are responsible for who they invite to attend.”

O’Carroll got two years’ jail in 1981 for conspiracy to corrupt public morals and 2½ years in 2006 for distributing indecent images.

In 2015 it emerged he had joined anti-Press group Hacked Off.