AN AMERICAN TV presenter who sparked outrage after posing with dead animals for trophy snaps on Islay has hit back at Scots.

Pro huntress Larysa Switlyk was branded “barbaric” for posting images of her kills, which included a bloodied ram, a goat and a red stag.

Thousands hit out at the big game hunter on social media after images appeared on Twitter.

And a petition has been started calling for the Scottish Government to put a total ban on the hunting.

Now Switlyk has broken her silence after the furore, taking to Instagram to defend her actions.

And she revealed that she had received threats against her as she blasted her critics - branding them "ignorant."

She posted a pic of herself and a plane late on Wednesday evening.

She said on Instagram: "My ride has arrived ~ I’m headed out on a bush plane for my next hunting adventure and will be out of service for 2 weeks.

"Nothing better than disconnecting from this social media-driven world and connecting back with nature.

"Hopefully that will give enough time for all the ignorant people out there sending me death threats to get educated on hunting and conservation.

"FYI , I was in Scotland over a month ago."

More critics flooded the post with comments.

Some branded her "scum" while others said "don't f**king come back."

A Scottish Government spokesperson said yesterday: “We fully understand why so many people find these images of hunted animals being held up as trophies so upsetting.

“Responsible and appropriate culling of animals is a necessary part of sustainable land management and the culling of some wild animals, including deer and goats, is not illegal.

“However, we understand the concerns raised by these images and, in light of them, the Environment Secretary will review the situation and consider whether any clarification of or changes to the law might be required.”

Ms Switlyk has been approached for comment.

Regions of Islay have culling policies - meaning certain animal populations such as deer are killed off for environmental reasons.

Callumkill Estate bosses say they work with farmers and cull deer "to preserve our ancient oak woodlands".

But, in response to queries on Ms Switlyk's hunt, animal welfare charity bosses indicated animals should only be slaughtered to protect other animals or humans.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said: “The Scottish SPCA believes that culls should only take place to protect human health and safety or for animal welfare reasons.

“As with any form of hunting, the instincts and behaviour of the animals must be respected and any animals should be killed instantly in order to prevent unnecessary suffering.”

Despite the recent outcry, the Scottish Gamekeepers Association, which does not participate in goat hunting, feels that facts should be established.

Chairman Alex Hogg said: “The principal reason for goat control in Scotland is to prevent damage to woodland and protected sites, in a similar way as deer and other herbivores are controlled to maintain a balance.

"RSPB Scotland, a conservation NGO, are well known for controlling goats on their land at Inversnaid.

“Species control always generates public opinion and controversy, particularly on social media. Some would rather that no species were controlled."

He added: "We don’t know the circumstances around this image but, if paying visitors are coming to Scotland to do a job that would have been done anyway, and are spending in local communities whilst doing so, then calling for immediate bans may be a knee-jerk reaction.”

Police Scotland said they had received no complaints over the alleged goat killings in Islay.

It's understood they are not committing a criminal offence if they've been given permission to kill the animal.