TWO children were rushed to hospital after a suspected chemical leak at a leisure centre.

Paramedics treated 19 patients following reports of kids being sick at Strood Sports Centre in Kent.

Children were also reportedly seen crying outside the centre and the ambulance service confirmed "several" people complained about a "shortness of breath".

Heru Asesimba, 39, was in the sauna at the leisure centre when a member of staff told him to evacuate the building because of a "gas leak" this afternoon.

Heru told Sun Online: "I was thinking 'Oh my god - there could be an explosion so I started getting changed really quickly."

But then a second employee at the pool told Heru that the fire brigade had arrived "and said it was worse than they thought" and that he had to leave the premises immediately.

It was then that he heard that the problem was actually chlorine-related and had triggered a massive emergency service response that was "bedlam" outside the swimming baths in Strood.

Heru added: "I was just concerned for other people's safety, my safety - it was a bit mad. I just wanted to get out of there really!"

A South East Coast Ambulance spokesman told Sun Online: "We have attended the scene at Strood Leisure Centre following reports of people being affected by a fume believed to be chlorine. Ambulance crew assessed and treated 19 patients.

"Four patients were taken to hospital for further checks but thankfully the majority were able to be assessed and discharged at the scene."

Carrie McKenzie, Assistant Director of Transformation at Medway Council, said: “Strood Sports Centre and main swimming pool have now reopened.

"The centre was temporarily closed earlier this afternoon as a precautionary measure following reports of a strong smell of chlorine.

"[Kent Fire and Rescue Service] attended and assessed and have confirmed that the site is safe to reopen. The teaching pool will remain closed for further checks later this evening.”