US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has defended his Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual assault, telling reporters it is “very hard” for him to “imagine that anything happened”.

He also described Mr Kavanaugh as “outstanding” and said if the lawyer’s sexual-assault accuser “makes a credible showing” before the Senate Judiciary Committee, he will find it “very interesting”.

The Judiciary Committee has scheduled a public hearing for Monday, where California college professor Christine Blasey Ford will testify regarding her allegation against him. Mr Kavanaugh, who strongly denies the allegation and has suggested Dr Ford’s account could be a case of mistaken identity, has also been invited.

Dr Ford says a drunken Mr Kavanaugh assaulted her decades ago when they were teenagers. The Supreme Court nominee has denied Dr Ford’s allegation and has said he’s willing to appear before the committee.

Dr Ford’s lawyers say she wants the FBI to investigate her allegation before she testifies — something which Hillary Clinton agrees with.

The former presidential candidate said the White House should request an FBI investigation of the sexual-assault accusation and any refusal to do so by Republicans amounts to rushing to confirm him.

But Mr Trump has repeatedly rejected the idea of bringing in the FBI to reopen its background check of the appeals court judge.

The president’s unwavering support of Mr Kavanaugh, seeming disregard for Dr Ford’s allegations, and his refusal to get the FBI to investigate has angered many voters and those on social media — who believe he is covering up a crime in the name of self-interest.

Dr Ford’s lawyers say she has been the target of “vicious harassment and even death threats” since coming forward with her story.

Threats that are likely to worsen after the president’s comments seemed to cast fresh doubt on whether the alleged 1980s attack even happened, as well as casting doubt on whether next Monday’s scheduled hearing would occur.

“Look, if [Christine Blasey Ford] shows up and makes a credible showing that’ll be very interesting,” Mr Trump told reporters on Wednesday (local time) as he left on Air Force One to visit the flood-ravaged areas of North Carolina.

TRUMP VISITS STORM-RAVAGED NORTH CAROLINA
Mr Trump later arrived in storm-ravaged North Carolina to take in the devastation left by tropical storm Florence.

The state is still grappling with massive recovery efforts as Mr Trump headed to a briefing at a Marine Corps air station where Air Force One landed in the coastal town of Havelock, one of many communities hit by the torrential rains.

Mr Trump will also visit South Carolina before he returns to the White House later on Wednesday.

He said he wants to say “hello” to everyone from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the military that are working hard to help residents recover from the storm.

He added: “I think it will be an incredible day.”

TRUMP RIPS SESSIONS: ‘HE WAS MIXED UP AND CONFUSED’

US President Donald Trump escalated his attacks on Attorney-General Jeff Sessions, saying, “I don’t have an Attorney-General.”

Mr Trump, in a Hill TV interview released on Wednesday (local time), said that he’s “so sad over Jeff Sessions,” whom he has repeatedly denounced for recusing himself from the Russia investigation.

“He was the first senator that endorsed me. And he wanted to be Attorney-General, and I didn’t see it,” Mr Trump said in the Oval office interview.

“And then he went through the nominating process and he did very poorly. I mean, he was mixed up and confused, and people that worked with him for, you know, a long time in the Senate were not nice to him, but he was giving very confusing answers. Answers that should have been easily answered.”

Mr Trump has repeatedly asserted that Mr Sessions, a former US senator from Alabama, did not need to step away from the Russia probe, a move the president believes in part led to the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating contacts between Trump campaign officials and Russians.

Mr Trump also broadened his attacks beyond the recusal, saying he’s unhappy with Mr Sessions’ performance on several issues.

“I’m not happy at the border. I’m not happy with numerous things, not just this,” Mr Trump said in the interview.

“I’m very disappointed in Jeff. Very disappointed.”