PRESIDENT Donald Trump has attacked his Attorney-General Jeff Sessions, saying Mr Sessions isn’t doing enough to investigate whether the FBI abused government surveillance powers in the Russia probe.

Mr Trump took to Twitter overnight, saying, “Why is A.G. Jeff Sessions asking the Inspector General to investigate potentially massive FISA abuse.

“Will take forever, has no prosecutorial power and already late with reports on Comey etc. Isn’t the I.G. an Obama guy? Why not use Justice Department lawyers? DISGRACEFUL!”

It comes as the Attorney-General fired back.

“As long as I am the attorney general, I will continue to discharge my duties with integrity and honour, and this department will continue to do its work in a fair and impartial manner according to the law and Constitution,” he said

Mr Sessions has said the Justice Department’s inspector general will evaluate whether prosecutors and agents abused the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act in obtaining a warrant to monitor the communications of a Trump associate.

A separate review of the FBI’s handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation under former Director James Comey is not late.

In a public statement Mr Sessions said that “as long as I am the Attorney-General, I will continue to discharge my duties with integrity and honour.”

Even Republicans found Mr Trump’s repeated attacks on Mr Sessions something of a joke.

CNN commentator and noted Republican Ana Navarro took to Twitter, saying, “Jeff Sessions has become Trump’s human piñata. Just whacks at him with a stick every time he wants a little candy ... and sometimes, just for the hell of whacking something.”