Going forward, group will now have a new anti-harassment policy, among other changes.
The Tor Project said Wednesday that its internal investigation has been completed into allegations of sexual misconduct allegedly perpetrated by one of its most prominent staffers, who has since left the organization.
In a statement, Executive Director Shari Steele wrote that the inquiry concluded that "many people inside and outside the Tor Project have reported incidents of being humiliated, intimidated, bullied, and frightened" by Jacob Appelbaum, a now-ex-member of Tor’s "Core Team," adding, "and several experienced unwanted sexually aggressive behavior from him."

The Tor Project is the Massachusetts-based nonprofit that maintains Tor, the well-known open source online anonymity tool.

Steele added, "The investigation also identified two additional people as having engaged in inappropriate conduct, and they are no longer involved with the Tor Project."

Kate Krauss, the group's spokeswoman, declined to tell Ars who those people are.

In June 2016, Appelbaum, one of Tor’s most public-facing developers, denounced the accusations, calling them a "calculated and targeted attack has been launched to spread vicious and spurious allegations against me."
"I want to be clear: the accusations of criminal sexual misconduct against me are entirely false," he wrote on Twitter at the time. He has not posted on Twitter since June 6, 2016.

Earlier this month, the Tor Project announced an entire revamp of its board of directors, replacing the leadership with more tech and privacy-minded people than before.

Steele also wrote Wednesday that the Tor Project has now created a "anti-harassment policy, a conflicts of interest policy, procedures for submitting complaints, and an internal complaint review process" in response to the Appelbaum fiasco.