THREE mobile has been blasted for trivialising violence against women with a bizarrely distasteful Valentine's Day advert.

The 15-second video promoted on Twitter features Henry VIII on a Tinder-type dating app, deciding whether to "shag, marry or behead" future potential suitors.

Three's misplaced attempt to play on the game of "snog, marry, avoid" was promptly slammed online.

Women's Aid responded on Twitter: "With an average of two women a week being killed by a partner or ex-partner in England and Wales, we are disappointed by ThreeUK’s 'Sh*g, marry, behead' campaign.

"It's sad to see #Valentines used to trivialise violence against women."

Three deleted the tweet but said they did "not believe it promotes violence against women."

But many social media users felt even Three's apology missed the mark.

Annie C wrote: "As a DV [domestic violence] survivor I've had some terrible Valentines Days.

"Special occasions are a real trigger for abusers/narcissists so your 'lighthearted bantz' really isn't funny at all".

While Teresa said she was ditching the phone provider, writing: "Hey @ThreeUK as they say there are plenty more fish in the sea".

Actress Kate Ford added: "When I saw this I couldn’t believe it was a real thing. Truly truly shocking".

But others hit back at what they described as "PC palava".

Ben Blaikie wrote: "Snowflakes. It was referring to Henry the 8th. Stop hijacking light heartedness with PC palava."

And Lee Daniel Owen added: "People kicking off about that Henry VIII #Three phone advert need a slap.

"It’s not promoting ‘domestic homicide’ in the slightest. It’s Henry the f*****g Eighth ffs.

"They’ll be tryna ban Horrible Histories & Tudor lessons in schools next. #TooFar".

Henry VIII famously had six wives - two of which he beheaded, two of which he divorced.

Jane Seymour died, while Catherine Parr outlived her husband.

A spokesman for Three said: "Our Phones Are Good marketing campaign is a light-hearted take on mobile phone behaviours, and it is not intended to cause offence.

"We don’t believe that our campaign promotes violence against women and we do not condone this in any form.

"We apologise to anyone who may have found this upsetting and we have taken immediate action to address this."