THOMAS Markle was paid over $13,000 for the tell-all interview where he revealed he warned Prince Harry “never to raise a hand” to his daughter.

The Duchess of Sussex’s dad was reportedly paid £7,500 ($AU13,435) for a live tell-all TV interview with British television network ITV at the weekend.

the fee is a relatively modest amount - but it sure to raise eyebrows because during the Good Morning Britain interview Mr Markle expressed his regret at staging fake paparazzi pictures in the days leading up to Meghan’s wedding to Prince Harry last month.

The TV crew flew the 73-year-old to a luxury hotel in California from his home in Mexico for the interview.

Former tabloid newspaper editor turned TV host Piers Morgan said Mr Markle had pocketed “a few thousand pounds”, but said Mr Markle had turned down significantly higher offers from American media outlets.

The presenter insisted his “ultimate motive was not money”, but a “proper chance” to put across his “side of the story” to a British program, reported The Sun.

The interview caused a stir in royal circles because he confirmed he hadn’t warned Meghan that he was going to speak to media. British media report Kensington Palace were deliberately kept in the dark about his first-ever TV interview, so palace aides had no chance to talk him out of it.

He admitted the faked pictures were a “serious mistake”, but believed the royal family had forgiven him.

He went on to give details about the first time he spoke to Prince Harry - and how the royal asked for his daughter’s hand in marriage.

I said to him, ‘You’re a gentleman, promise me you’ll never raise your hand against my daughter’ and I gave my permission.”

He explained why he faked the pictures.

“I didn’t do this for money, I did this to change my image. I was presented as a hermit hiding out in Mexico, but obviously that was a mistake and went wrong.

He cried while he watched the wedding on television. A heart condition meant he was unable to attend.

“The unfortunate thing for me now is I’m a footnote in one of the greatest moments in history rather than the dad walking her down the aisle.”

But he added: “I was honoured. I can’t think of a better replacement than someone like Prince Charles.

“It might have been a treat for him as well because he didn’t have a daughter.”

Mr Markle had faith his “intelligent” daughter could handle life with the “complicated” royals.

“The royals are very complicated, but she can always rise to that occasion.

“My daughter is capable of anything and she will be a compliment to the royal family.”