A SAINSBURY’S customer claims a homeless man was kicked out of the store when he tried to buy Maltesers and a Lucozade.

Robin Prisetley said a security guard shouted “get out” when a rough sleeper walked into the shop in Hoxton, East London, on Wednesday.

He said the homeless man was kicked out over “hygiene issues” and Robin felt “disgusted” by what he saw.

Robin wrote on Facebook: “Does ‘getting ready for Christmas’ include banning homeless people from buying food in your stores Sainsbury's?

“Because that's what just happened in your store on Kingsland Road in Hoxton.

“I just went in to see your security guard screaming at a homeless man who was trying to walk into the shop "YOU, NO, GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!!!"

“I went outside to speak to him and all he wanted to buy was a box of Maltesers and a bottle of Lucozade. So I went back into the store to buy it for him (Obviously I just paid for it myself).

“I then spoke to the security guard who said that it was the "Manager's policy" to ban homeless people because of 'hygiene'. SHAME ON YOU!"

He wrote to Sainsbury’s on their official Facebook page and the store replied to say the homeless man was already banned from the shop, according to Metro.co.uk.

A spokesman said: “I’ve spoken to a manager in the store who confirmed that this customer is in fact banned which is the reason the security guard didn’t allow them in.

"I can assure you that we welcome all customers in our stores and wouldn’t discourage homeless people from shopping with us.

"The manager will speak to the security guard involved in regards to the false information provided."

But Robin replied to say the “poor guy was shocked and scared” following the incident.

He said: “The guard make it pretty clear that the guy was “banned” as you put it because he was a bit smelly, that it was not hygienic to have him in the store.

"The poor guy was shocked, scared and ended up standing outside hoping to catch someone’s eye through window to ask them to buy some food on his behalf.

"I honestly don’t believe for a second that this man was banned from your store for any kind of behavioural issue."

The Sun Online has contacted Sainsbury’s for comment.