PRINCE George won't be told about his royal status as future king for as long as possible.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have chosen to keep it a secret from George and will not to tell the five-year-old until he's older.

As a tight-knit family unit the Cambridges have been open about striving to provide a 'normal' life for their three children, George, Charlotte, three, and Louis, who is approaching his first birthday.

Prince George is currently unaware that he is third in line to the throne, behind his father Prince William, 37, and grandfather Prince Charles, 70.

Wills explained why he wanted to protect his son from the revelation: "I love my children in the same way any father does, and I hope George loves me the same any son does to his father. We are very normal in that sense."

He told the BBC in 2016: "There'll be a time and a place to bring George up and understand how he fits in, in the world. But right now it's just a case of keeping a secure, stable environment around him and showing as much love as I can as a father."

It could prove difficult to keep the news that George has a big future ahead of him now he's attending school, but William and Kate seem determined to protect their son.

They often speak about their children with Kate revealing earlier this week that Prince Louis has started walking ahead of his first birthday on April 23.

And during an appearance at the National Portrait Gallery's gala, the proud mum shared her hopes of bringing George to see the incredible artwork hosted at the gallery.

Kate was also spotted taking George and Charlotte swimming over the school half-term holidays, with fellow onlookers saying the royal trio tried to blend in with other families.

The royal mum kept the kids, who were "impeccably behaved", entertained by organising races in the pool and allowing them to practise diving, and were both unaided without armbands.

In contrast Prince William found out he would be king as a young boy and reportedly told his mother he didn't want the job, while his brother Prince Harry was more than willing to take it on.

In a recent documentary on the Queen's Children, Jeremy Paxman recalled talking to Princess Diana over a private dinner about her sons' futures.

"We talked about our children and she said William often told her that he didn’t really want to be king, and then Harry would say, 'If you don’t want the job I’ll have it'."