Earlier this month Prime Minister Scott Morrison copped a roasting over an embarrassing Photoshop fail, formally known as “Shoegate”.

On Tuesday, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten posted a curious tweet of his own that is rapidly gathering attention.

In what many have construed as a blatant attempt to be seen to be relatable, Shorten tweeted a photo of himself with his sleeves rolled back spreading Vegemite on Ryvita, surrounded by fresh fruit and snow pea pods.

“Back to school means back to making school lunches,” the tweet reads.

The tweet has generated quite a response, accumulating 1040 likes and 428 comments so far.

But it isn’t the alleged lunch making that set the public off, but rather an odd burn mark on the wall in the background.

Several commentators referenced Shoegate.

“At least they didn’t photoshop a shoe over it,” Adele K. Thomas tweeted, while Twitter user @Tomred took a different tack with “Hi Bill. When you are PM — which can’t happen soon enough — you’ll have people who can fix stuff like that burnt patch with photoshop. Like this. #auspol#shorten#shoegate#kitchengate#schoollunchga te#electionNOW#AusVotes2019.”

Others voiced concern over what the burn represented in terms of Shorten’s leadership, such as Jez: “Well, now I just have to know: Who burnt the back of the stove? Was it you? What happened? If you’re going to be my next Prime Minister (which you are), I can’t have someone who puts things on the back burner.”

Regardless, Shorten’s post seems to have achieved its purpose with Cass Phoenix tweeting: “Tx for pointing that burn out. Bill Shorten can sure relate to me — AND making real vegemite sambos, not messing around making funny faces on the bread so the kids will eat their lunch. The real deal — what we need in The Lodge ASAP,” and chiccomarx adding: “Nah stay imperfect Bill We prefer real to photoshop. Burnt patch normal, like us.”

There has been no response from Mr Shorten’s office but his wife Chloe has offered an explanation on Instagram.

Commenting on her husband’s Instagram, Mrs Shorten said: “That would have been one of my little people a few years back ... and boy was that a massive lecture!”