THE body of an OAP was HIDDEN when it was discovered by his friend - as his family fear his loneliness made him an "easier target".

Pensioner Anthony Payne, 80, was discovered dead at his terrace home in Bonhay Road at around 3pm on Monday.

Less than 24 hours later the bodies of 84-year-old twins Dick and Roger Carter were found at their detached home in Cowick Lane.

A polo-playing former public schoolboy is being held over the murder of the three OAPs.

Police have been given extra time to question Alexander Lewis-Ranwell, 27, after he reportedly refused to leave his cell.

Cops yesterday confirmed the victims had all suffered “similar” serious head injuries.

In the first family tribute Mr Payne's brother-in-law Ronnie Teague said his death was a "great shock".

Ronnie, 73, from Newton Abbot, said: "I think Tony was lonely so that could have made him an easier target.

"I was married to his sister Pamela for 46 years. My wife passed away 11 years ago so we had known each other for well over 50 years.

"He was about 30 when I first met him. It is a great shock.

"He seemed to drift in his own little world and was one of seven or eight siblings but he was a down to earth chap and I remember he was always busy working. He was always on a building site.

"I heard on the news that something had happened on Bonhay Road. I don't know why but I straight away wondered whether it was Tony.

"When they showed it on TV it was roughly his door number and I worried that something had happened.

"It was a big shock and I still can't believe it. When I heard I just thought 'oh my god.' It is such a shocking thing to hear.

"He used to be an outgoing chap and used to go to the pub a lot. He would play darts and cards and was friendly with everyone but he did become a bit more reclusive in later years.

"He was not the sort of person to make enemies. You would never have thought he would go this way.

"He was just a normal and friendly bloke."

FOUND BODY IN THE BEDROOM
Mr Payne's best mate has described the moment he found his body.

The 80-year-old had been living with Keith Baker, who he had known for 35 years, on King William Street in Exeter for six months, but returned to the house he rented on Bonhay Road every other day to feed his cat.

Keith grew suspicious when Tony did not return to his house on Sunday evening.

After phoning the hospital and various pubs to find him, he decided to visit the house at at around 2.30pm on Monday to see if his friend was there but found him dead in one of the bedrooms.

Keith, 68, said: "I just hope he didn't suffer - I hope he was knocked out with the first blow.

"I went in and looked in his bedroom. The door was ajar. I had a glance around the room and just as I was walking out, just between the pillows and the wall I saw his coat sticking out.

"I felt for a pulse but couldn't get one."

He added: "The paramedics turned up and I showed them where he was...they couldn't even see him at first.

"They were using a defibrillator on him but I knew it was a bit too late for that.

"If he was going to die, I think he would have liked to die there with his cat. He knew that house, he had his cat there."

EX PUBLIC SCHOOLBOY SUSPECT
Lewis-Ranwell, 27, who attended an £11,000-a-term boarding school, is being quizzed over the violent killings in Exeter, Devon.

Yesterday, police revealed they had been unable to quiz the suspect and were given extra time.

Sources at Devon and Cornwall Police said it was because he had been “volatile and violent” and refused to leave his cell.

Detectives probing the murders also admitted they had not established a motive for the killings or found any link between the suspect and the victims.

Supt Matt Lawler said: “So far we have been unable to interview the suspect. There have been various issues.

“We are ready to speak to him and are keen to, but there have been various reasons why we have been unable to.”

Yesterday, magistrates granted police an extra 36 hours to question him.

He can be detained until 10pm today, by which time police must charge or release him.