EX-ARSENAL striker Nicklas Bendtner has been jailed for 50 days over an attack on a Copenhagen taxi driver that left the cabbie with a broken jaw.

The 30-year-old, who plays for Norwegian club side Rosenborg, has appealed the sentence, his lawyer said.

The Denmark star, who was arrested in September after being reported to police by the driver, was earlier pictured arriving with lawyer Anders Nemeth for his trial.

Bendtner broke the taxi driver's jaw in September after a night out in Copenhagen and the court was shown a video from inside the cab of the incident.

Having refused to pay the £4.80 fare, the forward - who earned £50,000 a week at Arsenal - punched the driver before kicking him as he lay on the ground.

He has also been ordered to pay the cabbie more than £1,000 in compensation.

In surveillance video of the incident in September, Bendtner appears to strike the driver in the face and kick him after a row started over which way the driver was supposed to drive.

Bendtner admitted to hitting the taxi driver in the face.

But he said it was because he felt threatened when the driver threw a bottle or a can towards him and his girlfriend when they left without paying.

The cab driver, whose jaw was broken, was acquitted of violence but fined £350 for using his telephone while driving and not wearing his seatbelt.

Reflecting on the incident Bendtner said: “I was involved in an extremely unfortunate episode.

“I could not imagine it would develop as it did, and of course I’m extremely sad that the outcome became as unfortunate as it did.

“To Rosenborg fans and audiences, I regret that this has happened. I’m sorry with all my heart that we are standing here today.

“To my dear teammates, I regret that this will steal focus in an important time. I thank you for your understanding.

“I have never been a fighter but I protect those I love on and off the pitch.”