A WOMAN was left devastated when her neighbours left a sarcastic note to "sweep up the broken glass" after thieves smashed her car windscreen.

Danielle Mills, 29, was at home with her partner Michael when they heard a car alarm and rushed outside.

The rear windscreen of Danielle's Ford Fiesta had been smashed in and her laptop stolen.

Danielle got a second shock after finding a malicious, hand-written note tucked into her windscreen wipers at 6am the next morning.

The note read: "If you feel like smashing your windows, that's fine. But please sweep up your glass.

"We don't all need punctures because of you.

"Many thanks, residents of Morley Road with cars, bikes and kids."

Danielle had tried to clear up the glass the night before but she said it was too dark to see it all.

She added: "At first I thought it might have been a note from a witness trying to help, but as soon as I read it I was just absolutely lost for words.

"I don't know if this was someone's idea of a tongue-in-cheek joke or something like that, but it wasn't funny - I was quite angry when I saw it and, to be honest, quite upset.

"I could maybe understand if we had left glass everywhere for days on end but it was a matter of hours."

Danielle has pinned posters around her street appealing for any information from potential witnesses and says she's baffled by the nasty message.

She said: "I don't understand why somebody would think this was acceptable - I think it's fairly obvious what had happened and I'm sure most people would expect a slightly more understanding response from a neighbour."

A police spokesperson said: "We received reports of a theft from a car during which a laptop was stolen between 6pm and 8.30pm on Tuesday evening.

"We advise that people do not leave valuables in their vehicles and recommend either locking them securely out of sight or removing them completely."

Police are still appealing for witnesses.