A MUM was handed just six quid in Universal Credit, and then handed a leaflet on budgeting, her daughter claims.

Vonny LeClerc said her 55-year-old mother cried after being given the paltry amount, the Daily Record reported.

She says that her mum was left "broken" and that her daughters have had to buy her food.

Vonny has since launched a GoFundMe page, smashing the £100 goal and raising £6000 from 500 donors.

On the page, she wrote: "Here’s the reality of universal credit: my mother is 55. She’s worked all her life. She was attacked in her care job months ago and now has a serious back injury and her doctor will not let her go back to work.

"She’s had to apply for UC. She got her first payment today: £6.

"The woman in the job centre told her to cancel her life and house insurance, even though she has cancelled everything including TV license, phone, internet, and bills. She tried to give my mum a leaflet on how to budget £6 for the month."

She added: "My mum burst into tears, and told the woman it was insulting, and left. She’s now sitting at home with no telly, no internet, nothing but the four walls to look at.

"No so she can get out of her rural village. Her grown daughters are having to buy her food."

She said her mum is going to fall into arrears on her bills, adding: " She is broken."

A DWP spokesperson said: “Universal Credit replaces an out-of-date, complex benefits system that discouraged people moving into work.

“We’re committed to ensuring people get the support they need and the latest figures show 83% of Universal Credit claimants are satisfied with the system.”

“Scotland has significant welfare powers, including to top-up existing benefits, pay discretionary payments and create entirely new benefits altogether.”

People left messages of support on the GoFundMe page.

One wrote: "Universal Credit is so cruel."

Another posted: "Best wishes to your mum. My donation MUST be spent on something essential like wine or chocolate."