THE MUM of a nine-year-old schoolgirl who died in a head on crash may have dozed off at the wheel, an inquest has heard.

Keira Ball suffered head and neck injuries on the A361 near West Buckland, in Devon, on July 30 last year.

Her mum Loanna and younger brother Bradley, seven, were both seriously injured.

Keira, who was travelling in the back of her mum’s Vauxhall Vectra, was taken to Bristol Children’s Hospital but died two days later.

The inquest at South Molton Town Hall heard it was possible Mrs Ball had experienced a period of "micro sleep" or had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Coroner Philip Spinney said it was also possible she had been distracted by something in the vehicle but there was "no evidence to suggest this was intentional".

Forensic collision investigator PC Melissa Inness said Mrs Ball, a mum-of-four, was travelling to Barnstaple between 45-55mph when she crashed head-on with a Ford Ranger towing an 8ft cattle trailer.

PC Inness said: “It is possible the driver of the Vauxhall either suffered a period of microsleeps or had fallen asleep at the wheel resulting in the vehicle tending into the offside carriageway.”

William Paddon, the driver of 4x4, said he did not remember the crash.

He said: “I was sat in the pick-up but it was smashed up. I knew I must have been in a crash.”

Mrs Ball, who the inquest heard also has no memory of the collision, was airlifted to Bristol Southmead Hospital while her two children went to Bristol Children’s Hospital.

Witness Michael Adams, a retired police officer, told the inquest he heard an "almighty collision" when Mrs Ball's car veered diagonally into the path of the oncoming pickup truck.

Speed was not a factor and there was no hint of alcohol or drugs playing a part in the crash, the inquest heard.

Police confirmed there had been no prosecutions and there were no ongoing investigations.

Mr Spinney concluded Keira died on August 1 as a result of a road traffic collision.

Her organs were donated to four people including Max Johnson, 10, who was given her heart.

The family’s bravery and lasting legacy was praised by the coroner.

He said: “It is a truly tragic event and I am deeply sorry for your loss.

"I'd just like to say it must have been a very difficult decision at the time to agree consent of her organs being donated, and what you did was a very important thing."

Last year Mrs Ball also founded the InspiredbyKeira charity which aims to help the families of children who have died and promote organ donation.

Keira's aunt Sarah Stewart read a statement on behalf of her family after the inquest.

She said: "As I'm sure you can understand it's been a very difficult time for my family since the death of Keira and the road traffic accident a year ago. The inquest and the issuing of the death certificate will enable us to draw a line under the formal aspect of this tragedy.

"The loss of our beautiful daughter Keira will never be forgotten. I would like to thank the press for their sensitive coverage over their months since the accident and in particular for supporting us in our opt out donor campaign scheme, and our efforts inspired by Keira.

"With your support and the huge response from the local community we are doing what we can to try and make some good out of something so awful.

"Keira's organ donations have saved four lives, notably that of Max Johnson, who received her heart."