JUST weeks after 37-year-old Allison Cameron found out she was going to be a grandmother she was stunned to discover she was expecting a baby herself.

The mum and 20-year-old daughter Skye Armstrong even started going to antenatal classes together.

But hairdresser Allison admits that, at first, she did not welcome her daughter’s news.

She says: “When Skye sat down beside me I could tell something was wrong. Then she told me she was pregnant. My heart sank. I was just 16 when I’d fallen pregnant with Skye, and I didn’t want her to follow in my footsteps and be a young mum.

“I couldn’t help feel a bit disappointed. Skye was at college studying for an NVQ in business. But I promised to support my daughter.

“Part of me looked forward to having a baby in the house but I felt too young to be called Grandma. ‘I’ll be Nana,’ I told Skye.”

But four weeks later, Allison, then with former partner Lee, 34, a security officer got some unexpected news herself.

She says: “‘After being on the Pill for years, I’d come off for a few months. I’d always wanted another baby but I’d never met the right man, until Lee.

“I woke up feeling queasy but I was still having irregular periods, so I was sure I wasn’t pregnant. I did a test just to rule it out. I was stunned when it came back positive.

“My 18-year-old was pregnant and now I was too. It felt totally surreal. I was going to be a pregnant grandma.”

Over the next few months mother and daughter supported each other as their partners were working away.

Allison, who lives with Skye in Darlington, County Durham, says: “Skye’s was due on January 12, 2017, and mine was February 12. I went to Skye’s first scan. Watching her baby — my grandchild — dancing on the screen was magical.”

Allison and Skye — whose boyfriend Ryan, 22, is the Navy — did everything together as they prepared for their new babies. Allison says: “One lady at an antenatal class asked if me and Skye were sisters. She couldn’t believe I was old enough to have a pregnant daughter. One night we lay in bed together watching our bumps moving as our babies wriggled. ‘Look, yours moved,’ Skye laughed as my bump wobbled.”

Our children will have the most amazing bond

Then, unexpectedly, Allison got a call from Skye to say her waters had broken.

Allison says: “I was terrified. She still had six weeks to go — it was too early. When I arrived at Darlington Hospital, Skye was in full labour.

“She seemed calm but I was a mess. My baby was having a baby, and I hated seeing her in pain. Hours later, Skye gave birth to baby Eliza. She weighed 4lb 1oz. I was overwhelmed by emotion. I was a nana but Eliza was whisked straight to special care.

“It was a bittersweet moment, none of us knew if she’d pull through.” The family were soon reassured that Eliza was going to be fine but she could not suckle so had to be fed through a tube. Two days later Allison held Eliza for the first time. She says: “Cuddling my new granddaughter just made me want my baby to arrive.

“When Eliza was well enough to come home, life was hectic. I helped doing night feeds so Skye had a break.”

With six weeks to go, Allison noticed her baby was not moving as much as he should and her midwife advised her to get induced two weeks early.

Allison says: “The day before I was due to be induced, my waters broke as I got out of bed. I screamed for Skye and she came running in. The labour ward told me to come straight in.” Allison gave birth to Hugo, who weighed 7lb 14oz.

She says: “Life in a two-bed house with two tiny babies was crazy. The washing pile was always huge, and if one baby was sick, the other would be ill too.

“Both of us went through the baby blues and we comforted each other.

“Skye is training to work in childcare, so while she is at college I look after Eliza two days a week. And Skye has Hugo two days a week while I’m at work. I never expected to be a nana at 35 — let alone a pregnant one — but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I know our children will have the most amazing bond. They are like brother and sister.” Skye says: “Eliza wasn’t planned. I was shocked when I found out I was pregnant.

“I couldn’t believe it when Mam told me she was pregnant too — my friends didn’t believe me when I told them. Once we’d both had our babies, living together was great because we could help each other. In the early weeks, Mam would look after Eliza while I got some sleep or had a bath.

“When Eliza and Hugo got bigger and needed some more space, things got a bit stressful and we’d argue over silly things — although we’d always sort things out.

“Ryan does help as much as he can but his job means he can be away for months at a time so it is difficult.

“But he has always helped and spends time with Eliza when he’s home.

“Luckily, I’ve always got Mam for help and support, and Eliza and Hugo are really close too.”