A GRIEF-stricken mum has told of the horrifying moment she watched her five-year-old daughter get swept to her death by a 'freak' 8ft wave on a family day out at the beach.

Little Rose Carter was walking on Durdle Door beach in Dorset with mum Sofia and sister Juliet when she was struck by the freak wave and swept 30ft out to sea.

The schoolgirl drowned despite a heroic rescue attempt by ex-triathlete onlooker Lucy Seviour.

Mrs Carter, 32, revealed she had taken her girls to the beauty spot while husband Martin was at work.

The family, from salisbury, Wiltshire, were enjoying a day out at the Durdle Door beauty spot in Dorset when the tragic accident happened.

Mrs Carter was walking along the seafront with her daughters, Rose and Juliet, when the wave struck them.

The mum was able to stand up in the waves but her five-year-old daughter was swept 30 feet out to sea.

In a statement she said: "The waves were rough so we stayed close to the beach. I did not think it was dangerous.

"My eldest daughter was in front of me and Rose was about three metres behind me."

She added "I saw a really big wave which went over her head and knocked her off her feet.

"I was pulled under the water two or three times and when I stood up I could no longer see Rose.

"A man pulled me out and I could then see Rose was beyond the breaking waves."

As she screamed for help, Mrs Seviour, a climber rushed to help after being drenched by the same wave.

She managed to get just feet from Rose but was beaten back by another wave.

Ms Seviour, from Winchester, apologised to Rose's grieving family for not being able to save the youngster during the inquest in Bournemouth.

She said: "I used to swim a lot as a triathlete and I made it through the first couple of waves but I think it was the third wave that hit me.

soundtrack
"I couldn’t see anything at all. Then I could see Rose for maybe half a second, she was about half a metre away.

"I tried to move but got hit by another wave and got washed up on the beach."

A lifeboat crew and ambulance were scrambled to the scene and despite their desperate efforts, they couldn't save Rose.

A post mortem confirmed the youngster had died from downing.

Brendan Allen, the assistant coroner for Dorset, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Mrs Carter and her 33-year-old husband, a marketing manager and former Royal Navy medic, home-schooled their daughters at their home in Salisbury, Wilts.

The family thanks Miss Seviour for her heroic efforts on the day.