A MUM and her son have enraged a driver trying to park in a shopping centre by standing in an empty space and refusing to budge.

Pulling into a spot at Westfield St Lukes Mall in Auckland, New Zealand, the driver of the people carrier was stunned to see the pair standing in his way, seemingly reserving the space.

“It’s stupid… it’s not very good,” says the appalled driver who filmed the incident.

Despite persistently honking his horn, the mum stands her ground and appears to carry on her phone conversation with her boy nervously hiding behind her.

The driver continues: “Can you please move as this is a public car park and I would like to park my family’s vehicle here."

According to a comment on the video, the pair moved after ten minutes.

It has sparked much online debate as to who was in the right – the unwavering mum and boy or the determined driver.

One Facebook user said: "We all do that or have done that. I'm sure he could've parked elsewhere."

But another added: "She's in the wrong and it's the principle of the matter.

"But tooting your horn like that with a kid there is also wrong."

A third wasn't so sympathetic, commenting: "Get the frick out of his way blueberry, you don't have a car you don't get a park.