Comedian Michael McIntyre was robbed by two men on a moped while he was parked outside his children's school on Monday, his publicist has said.

The men smashed his car windows with a hammer before taking his watch and speeding off, it has been reported.

His wife Kitty said the star was "fine" after the robbery at about 14:00 BST on North End Road in Golders Green, north-west London.

Asked if they were concerned about the family's safety, Ms McIntyre said "no".

A Metropolitan Police statement said: "The victim was stationary in his car when two males on a moped smashed the car windows with a hammer before stealing property."

Police said no injuries were reported and no arrests have been made.

McIntyre is a stand-up comedian and host of Saturday night entertainment series Michael McIntyre's Big Show.

His UK tour in 2012, during which he played to over 700,000 people in 71 venues including 10 nights at London's O2 arena, reportedly earned the comic £21m.

McIntyre has also been a judge on Britain's Got Talent and has appeared on numerous quiz panel shows.

Local residents spoke to BBC London following the robbery.

One woman, who did not want to be named, said: "I've lived here for years, and normally the trouble is down the other end of the road towards Hampstead."

She said Hampstead seemed to be increasingly targeted because it is a wealthy area.

But another resident, who has lived on the leafy road for 30 years, said: "I'm not worried because I don't wear a Rolex and don't drive around in a Range Rover."

Moped crime on the rise
The number of offences carried out by criminals using mopeds in London has increased from 827 offences in 2012 to more than 23,000 last year.

Data obtained by the BBC showed during that period, more than 40% of such offences happened in just two boroughs - Camden and Islington.