As voting continues throughout the country, officials say the process has been smooth and peaceful so far – elements missing from past elections here.

Having covered the last two votes in 2008 and 2013, I’ve met families who shared horrid stories of assault and intimidation for pledging allegiance to any party other than Zanu-PF.

At a polling station earlier, one person told me: "I am voting to express my freedom. That's something I have not been able to do since 1980".

The fact that people in Zimbabwe now freely talk about politics, regardless of who they support, speaks to a new order here.

This is not to say Zanu-PF has lost favour. Quite the contrary, many say that by removing its founder, Robert Mugabe, the liberation movement has managed to give itself a new lease of life.

And so this is a close race for the top job.

But when the sun sets today, through their votes, Zimbabweans will have done all they could to help steer their country’s future.

Over the next few days, with the eyes of the world watching, this country’s newest democratically elected leader will be announced.

Many pray the peace will hold.