A DISABLED woman in her 60s has died and six people are being treated by paramedics after a fire broke out in a flat in Maidstone, Kent.

Paramedics and four fire crews were called to the scene of the blaze in a 1960s block of flats on Tuesday night after smoke was seen coming from the property in Quarry Square.

Firefighters wearing breathing equipment tackled the fire using high-pressure hose reel jets while one neighbour even waded through thick smoke and risked his life trying and save the woman.

Another neighbour helped to evacuate a child and his pregnant mother, who were among six other residents treated for breathing in the toxic fumes.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service say enquiries to establish the identity of the deceased and the cause of the fire are ongoing.

The woman's next of kind have been informed.

Witness Corelle Bruce, 38, said: "I was just going to bed when my son came down stairs screaming.

"I heard this almighty bang and the flat across the road was on fire.

"I couldn't just stand there and watch it, it was awful. Smoke was billowing out. It was horrific.

"I came in after a while, my son was hysterical so I wanted to calm him down.

"I could taste the smoke in my mouth this morning.

"Someone in another flat tried to save them from the flames.

A police cordon was in place around the flat where windows were smashed and the brickwork was blackened and charred, as the investigation was underway.

A Kent Police spokesman said: "Kent Police was called at 10.32pm on Tuesday, December 18 to a flat fire in Maidstone.

"Officers attended and provided assistance to crews from Kent Fire and Rescue Service and South East Coast Ambulance Service.

"A woman in her 60s was pronounced dead at the scene. Her next of kin have been informed and a report is being prepared for the coroner.

"Enquiries into the cause of the fire are ongoing."

Golding Homes, which manages the block of flats, is working with the authorities, and has offered those evacuated from the property alternative accommodation in a hotel.