MADELEINE McCann asked her mum Kate "why didn’t you come when I cried last night?" just hours before she went missing while on holiday.

The three-year-old's comments raise fears an abductor might have entered her room the night before she was taken.

Maddie disappeared from her bed on May 3, 2007, while on holiday with her parents and family friends at a resort in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

Her parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, had left her sleeping with her siblings while they had dinner at the hotel's restaurant - only realising about 10pm that she was gone.

The youngster's disappearance is the subject of a new eight-part Netflix documentary, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

But in 2011 Kate also wrote her own account of what happened that evening for a book titled "Madeleine: Our daughter's disappearance and the continuing search for her".

In it, Kate reveals Maddie's haunting words to her the day before her disappearance.

She wrote about how Maddie asked her: "Why didn't you come when Sean and I cried last night?"

Kate wrote: "We were puzzled. Did she mean when they were having their bath? Or just after they’d gone to bed?

"It certainly hadn’t been in the early hours, because I’d been in the room with them, even closer than usual.

"Madeleine didn’t answer or elaborate. Gerry and I were disconcerted.

"Could Madeleine and Sean have woken up while we were at dinner? If so, it was worrying, obviously, but it didn’t seem very probable."

Madeleine McCann - Documentary tells how police in Portugal thought Kate and Gerry McCann had drugged Maddie with Calpol

Meanwhile, Maddie's parents have slammed the new Netflix documentary on her disappearance, saying it "won’t help" the search.

The family also believe the controversial new film could "fuel conspiracy theorists", their spokesman said.