French President Emmanuel Macron is expected to visit the famous New Africa Shrine, built in honour of legendary musician Fela Kuti, in Nigeria's commercial capital, Lagos.

Mr Macron will be the first foreign president in office to visit the shrine - also known as Fela Shrine - since its creation in 1970.

The French leader - who spent six months as an intern at the French embassy in Lagos in the early 2000s - told reporters travelling with him: "I like Nigeria a lot. It's an appealing country. I've got a lot of memories... that haven't left me," news agency AFP reports.

The shrine contains a photo gallery of Fela and records regular stage performances by his sons, Femi Kuti and Seun Kuti.

It is known as an open-air entertainment stage and it still embodies the energy of Fela Kuti, who popularised AfroBeats and protest music.

Mr Macron will likely be met with energetic female dancers adorned in colourful apparels and beads.

The venue is also famous for its misty air from marijuana smoke.

The French president's visit to Nigeria has been greeted with mixed reactions, including a comment from a Twitter user who noticed that authorities in Lagos have been busy fixing the roads ahead of the visit.