A 16-year-old boy found with bullet wounds within an hour of another fatal shooting in London has died.

The teen was left critically ill after being shot in Walthamstow on Monday in an attack that also left a 15-year-old boy with stab injuries.

His death follows that of a 17-year-old girl, named locally as Tanesha Melbourne, who was killed in Tottenham.

The shootings come amid concerns over rising violent crime in London. Police say they are not linked.

The Met Police said the 16-year-old boy died in hospital at 17:45 BST on Tuesday with his next of kin present.

The teenager who was stabbed has been released from hospital.

There are extra police on the streets of Walthamstow and officers said they are using stop-and-search powers to seize weapons.

Tanesha, whose name has not been officially confirmed, was pronounced dead at 22:43 on Monday after a drive-by shooting in Chalgrove Road near Northumberland Park, Tottenham.

Her death came as police were already at the scene two miles away in Markhouse Road, Walthamstow, after being called at about 22:00.

There have been no arrests in either investigation.

Acting Det Ch Insp Glenn Butler, who is investigating the Walthamstow shooting, said: "I fully appreciate the alarm, shock and revulsion caused by this murder and other fatal shootings we have seen across London over the last few months.

"We are doing everything we can to identify the culprits and bring them to justice."

He added "the recovery of local CCTV footage is in hand and my officers will be knocking on doors".

Acting Ch Supt Tania Coulson said extra police were on the streets and officers had met with community leaders about the murder investigation.

"Section 60 - an intelligence-led pre-authorised power to stop and search - has been continually reviewed and put in place since the evening of Monday 2 April," she said.

"My officers have been on the streets using this power really effectively, seizing knives, stopping cars of young men carrying weapons and making arrests. That will continue into the early hours of Wednesday... and further, if necessary."