AND they say romance is dead.

Two Wellington residents have found love after a woman’s kind act for a man in a KFC queue landed the pair a “romantic” date.

It was a Saturday night when one Wellington man set out to treat himself to a delicious KFC dinner. But when he got to the counter, his card was declined, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Unable to scrape up the cash, the man claims he was helped by a woman in the queue who stepped forward and paid for his meal.

He took to Facebook to thank the woman for her kind act and offered to return the favour if he could somehow track her down.

“To the beautiful girl who paid for my KFC tonight when my card declined, thank you so much,” he wrote on Vic Deals.

“I didn’t get your name but if it was you please message me. I get paid next week and would love to take you out x.”

His message reached far and wide, and less than 24 hours later a woman who claimed to be the person in the KFC line responded to his plea.

OMG, that was me! Let’s get Maccas for brunch tomorrow morning,” she responded, sending Vic Deals into meltdown.

Hundreds commented on the pair’s “new-found love” with many saying the chance interaction is a “better love story than Twilight”.

“A love story for the ages,” one person wrote.

Another said: “If she is reading this, he is a catch, wish he would take me out for KFC on payday.”

“If I don’t meet the love of my life like this by the age of 30 I’m retiring to a cave somewhere. This is the most romantic thing yet.”

One person suggested the love story should be captured as a blockbuster Hollywood film.

The post, which went online on Saturday night, attracted close to 2000 reactions from people eager to know what happened.

Last night the man updated everyone on their proposed McDonald’s date, telling the group they went to McDonald’s for breakfast after finding $20 down the couch.

“Just an update for those asking. Went out for a McMuffin with the ‘Saint Of KFC’ since I found that $20 in the couch.

“Decided to splash out and upgrade us both to combos and I chose the hot chocolate and she chose the orange juice.”

When asked if they will see each other again, he said: “Unsure if we will. I was silly and referred to her as Haley Joel Osment from the 2000 film Pay It Forward. Apparently calling girls a prepubescent boy doesn’t go down well, but we will see.”

However, the date may have gone better than expected with the pair jokingly telling readers they could be ready to take it to the next step.

“We will have our wedding at KFC to honour the place that brought us together … Snack boxes for all guests, sounds great.”

Move aside, Paris. It appears Wellington is the new city of love.