SENIOR staffers in the White House, including Donald Trump’s chief of staff General John Kelly, reportedly knew for months about domestic violence claims against staff secretary Rob Porter for months but continued to elevate him through the ranks.

CNN reports that Mr Porter’s two ex-wives detailed the allegations to the FBI over the course of a routine background check and it was one reason why he still does not hold a security clearance despite his seniority.

Mr Porter helped draft last week’s State of the Union address and was sent to Davos by Gen Kelly to stand in for him.

To make matters worse, White House communications director, Hope Hicks, who is reported to be in a romantic relationship with Mr Porter and was spotted kissing him last week, was the one drafting a statement of support from Gen. Kelly on Tuesday after Colbie Holderness, Mr Porter’s first wife, and Jennifer Willoughby, Mr Porter’s second wife, both said their ex-husband’s consistent abuse was the reason for their respective divorces.

Ms Holderness told the DailyMail that he choked and punched her during their marriage.
Ms Willoughbysaid that he had once dragged her wet and naked out of the shower and was verbally abusive, calling her a f**king b**ch’ on their honeymoon.

“Rob Porter is a man of true integrity and honour and I can’t say enough good things about him. He is a friend, a confidante and a trusted professional. I am proud to serve alongside him,” the statement from Gen. Kelly read.

However, when the Intercept published an old photo of Mr Holderness with a black eye she says at the hands of Mr Porter, he announced his resignation.

He said photos published were taken nearly 15 years ago and the “reality behind them is nowhere close to what is being described.”

“I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a co-ordinated smear campaign,” he said.

Gen. Kelly claimed to be “shocked” by the “new allegations” against Mr Porter.

“There is no place for domestic violence in our society. I stand by my previous comments of the Rob Porter that I have come to know since becoming Chief of Staff, and believe every individual deserves the right to defend their reputation,” Kelly said. “I accepted his resignation earlier today, and will ensure a swift and orderly transition.”

Mr Trump only learned of the allegations this week. His daughter and senior adviser Ivanka Trump was reportedly disturbed by the claims.

As White House staff secretary, Mr Porter controls the flow of information to the president’s desk