THE family of Egypt jail hell Brit Laura Plummer pleaded for her to be released last night - as she marks a year behind bars.

Laura, 34, was arrested on October 9 last year at the start of a two-week holiday on the Red Sea coast with painkillers in her suitcase.

She was held in a police cell for weeks before being found guilty of possession on Boxing Day and jailed for three years.

We revealed last month how devastated Laura, a shop worker of Hull, East Yorks, had lost her latest appeal bid for freedom.

Last night, her distraught family spoke of their ordeal as they marked the one year anniversary with a plea to the country’s president.

Laura’s sister, Jayne Synclair, 41, said: “We can’t believe it’s been a year. It’s been such a difficult time for us - but more so for Laura.

“We just want her home with us and are pleading with Egypt to see sense and realise she didn’t know the tablets were illegal.

“We’ve had so many highs and lows. We just want some good news.”

Laura broke down in tears inside the capital's notorious Al Qanater prison after she discovered her appeal had failed.

Laura, dressed in an all-white jilbab, held her head in her hands and sobbed: "Oh I hate it. I hate it so much. I just want to come home."

"What don't these people get?

"I sometimes wonder if I've died and this is hell. What did I do that was so wrong in my life to end up here?

[bc_video video_id="5695523105001" account_id="5067014667001" player_id="default" embed="in-page" padding_top="56%" autoplay="" min_width="0px" max_width="640px" width="100%" height="100%" caption="Brit Pete Farmer on how he was locked up in cockroach infested jail in Egypt like Laura Plummer
"]

"I thought the appeal judges would see sense and realise I couldn't have known the tablets were banned.

"I should have known better. The awful thing is I loved this country. I loved coming here on holiday.

"It's just so absurd.

"Everyone here was convinced I was leaving. They even drew up a list to divide up my things once I was gone.

"I can't believe I'm now going to lose another Christmas."

Laura - nicknamed Bridget Jones behind bars - has one remaining appeal left but it could be months before it is even heard.

The Tramadol tablets were found in her suitcase when she arrived into the country for a two-week holiday.

The Foreign Office confirmed there was no way of Laura knowing the tablets were banned.

They submitted paperwork which showed their website was not updated to warn travellers of the dangers of taking prescription medication to Egypt.

Documents - confirmed and stamped by the Foreign Office - were also provided by the tour operator Laura booked her holiday with.

They too confirmed that their website contained no warning to holidaymakers travelling to Egypt