THE Irish backstop issue could be postponed amid increasing desperation to secure a Brexit deal, it is warned.

Labour leader Brendan Howlin claims a “very dangerous” suggestion is being made in Europe to smooth over the border issues in facilitating a divorce.

He said: “We have reached a phase now in the Brexit discussions that I feared would happen when the Irish border issue would become the fulcrum issue. I had sought for many months to avoid that.

“I’d hoped that the decision would be made to have a clear outline of what the backstop would be at the June summit.

“I said if it was deferred there was every danger that it would become the critical issue. Not only in October but beyond. And actually would muddy the waters in relation to the exit deal.

“Talking to colleagues across Europe, I now hear for the first time that there are actually suggestions being made that the Irish backstop issue should be postponed.

“I think that is very dangerous for us and it is something that we have to resist. But it was predictable.”

Mr Howlin reckons the issue – previously considered non-negotiable – will become a focal point over the next number of days.

He added: “There has to be a clear determination set out by the Irish Government on the backstop issue. The idea of a temporary backstop is a bizarre suggestion.

“That matter should be put to bed so that there can be no discussions on any long-term arrangements with the United Kingdom until that matter is determined in accordance with the agreement that was set out by the European Union and the UK authorities last December.”

Asked if we’re heading towards a no-deal Brexit, he said: “Yes, that is my view. I think that people have boxed themselves into extreme positions and it is the extremists now that are dictating terms.

“That is something that I was fearful of for a year.

“The fact that the exit terms are now pivoting on the Irish backstop was always a dangerous position for Ireland to be in and that is the position we are in right now.”

A Government spokesperson described Mr Howlin’s claim about the backstop as “utterly baseless”, adding that the EU remains fully supportive of Ireland’s position and the Barnier taskforce is only negotiating on that basis.

Theresa May has called on her Cabinet to “stand together and stand firm” on Brexit after negotiations with the EU stalled in the run-up to a crucial summit.

The Prime Minister’s plea came in an extended three-hour meeting of Cabinet at 10 Downing Street, where ministers offered strong support for her insistence any Brexit deal must preserve the integrity of the Union and cannot bind the UK indefinitely into a customs backstop arrangement.

Despite intense speculation over a possible walkout in recent days, no minister indicated they might consider resigning from the Government over Brexit.

The meeting came as Mrs May prepared to address leaders of the remaining 27 EU states at a Brussels summit.