AN innocent dad has been battered by vigilantes who trashed his home because they mistakenly believe he is a paedophile.

Terry Edwards, 33, was dragged out of his house in East Malling, Kent, by a knifeman before being battered by thugs who smashed his car windows in.

He says his ten-year-old daughter has now asked what the word "nonce" means after passers-by hurled abuse at him.

Terry became the target of a hate campaign when a man with the same name in Snodland was caged for four years after having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Recalling the attack, he told Kent Online: "I opened the door and a man dragged me outside and have me a good kicking and called me a nonce. He tried stabbing me.

"The next day I was driving down the road and a Mercedes pulled up and two blokes got out and beat me up."

HATE CAMPAIGN
Dad-of-four Terry says he was forced to scrap his Vauxhall Cavalier last week after all the windows were smashed.

The abuse has resurfaced since paedophile Edwards, 49, was released from jail after admitting one charge of sexual activity with a child in 2011.

He was already on probation in 1987 for indecently assaulting a boy and was caged in 1993 for a sexual offence.

Terry said: "I'm scared to go out anywhere. I just worry all the time and I have had to tape up the letterbox because I'm worried something is going to come through it.

"There are people just pulling up outside the house and sitting there."

The nightmare first unfolded in 2011 when a brick was chucked through his living room window.

Three months later, his car was set on fire and now he is too scared to pick his children up from school because he doesn't know if he will be "attacked".

Cops are now investigating the attacks and ask anyone with information to call 01622 604100, quoting reference 46/57413/19, or ring Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 5555111.