HOMELESS Margaret Cash insisted she never claimed to be a saint — after admitting to nicking clothes from Penneys.

The mum-of-seven — who hit the headlines when she slept with her kids in a Garda station — was put on probation for a year.

Margaret Cash admitted stealing €321 of clothes from Penneys in Nutgrove Shopping Centre

She stole €321 of clothes from Nutgrove Shopping Centre in Rathfarnham, Dublin on February 17.

But after avoiding jail at Tallaght Court yesterday, Cash said: “I don’t know what the shoplifting has to do with me being homeless, it is my private life.

“I never said I was a saint or anything, far from it.

“None of this has to do with the homeless crisis.

“I feel like I’m being attacked for highlighting the homeless crisis. It’s all about me shoplifting, they are looking for the bad.

“The clothes were for the kids. I feel like I am being targeted. It is letting the Government off the hook.”

She appeared in Tallaght Court

Cash, who had 38 previous convictions, had her case put back when she didn’t show up initially — and her lawyer Kevin Tunney said she was “on a bus” that was delayed.

Judge Patricia McNamara put the case to second calling.

Cash later turned up in court. She was wearing black boots, grey leggings and a black hoodie with the logo “no limits”.

Judge McNamara warned her not to give into “temptation”.

Margaret Cash was put on probation for a year

She commented that Cash had 38 previous convictions, 37 of which were for Road Traffic offences, and was a homeless mother of seven children.

She asked Sergeant Michael Ahern if Cash had come to the attention of the gardai since the incident.

Sgt Ahern replied: “No”.

He said that in relation to the theft from Penneys that the property had not been recovered.

Judge McNamara told Cash: “ I have read the probation report and I see that there are are issues in your background and your personal circumstances which cannot be ignored but you cannot go around committing thefts.

“What would happen to your children if you were to go to jail.”

Judge McNamara said she would deal with the case by way of Section 1.1 (2) of the Probation Act.

She placed Cash on a Probation Bond of €100 for 12 months and on condition that she engages with the Probation Services and the Restorative Justice Services.