A HEALTHY teen cheerleader from Florida died just one day after complaining of a sore throat and headache to her mother.

Jessie Lauren Melcolm's mother asked a friend to check in on the teen the following morning after she couldn't contact her - and the teen was found unresponsive.

Jessie, who was originally from Jacksonville but was attending Tallahassee Community College, was taken to hospital but later died on November 6.

A former cheerleading captain, Jessie was remembered by friends as "positive and supportive".

According to local media, the Health Department in Tallahassee is aware of her sudden death and is waiting to get autopsy results from the medical examiner.

And the devastated Melcolm family said Jessie had always been healthy and they are waiting for answers as to why she died.

According to Action Jax news, authorities have said they are still investigating her death, but there are no initial signs of an overdose or even meningitis, which can kill within 24 hours.

Authorities have said that foul play is not suspected.

Dr. Sunil Joshi Director of the Duval County Medical Foundation told the broadcaster that an "acute headache" can lead to a haemorrhage or aneurysm.

Dr Joshi said: "Well if it’s not that, then an acute headache that leads to death within minutes or hours, you think about a hemorrhage or an aneurysm."

Paying tribute to the teen on Facebook, friend Kennedy Whitsell said: "I woke up this morning still in shock of the loss of our sweet girl.

"Jessie was such an influential individual in my life. She had a way to brighten your day every time you saw her.

"Please join me in praying for the Melcolm family in this time of tragedy.

"I still cannot seem to wake up from this dream, love you too much Jessie Girl, my forever guardian angel."

The Creeks Baseball Club - where Jessie's father and brother are coaches - said they are "heartbroken" following her death.

In a statement, the club said: "The Melcolm family is such a large part of the CBC family! We have been overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and offers of support for Coach Rusty, Coach Reed, and Coach Fitzpatrick’s family.

"A care package, including food and various gift cards, is being assembled. If you would like to donate, please click on the PayPal link below. Any extra funds will be donated to the Melcolm family."