A FIFTH person has been charged with the of a dad who had his ears chopped off in a street attack.

Sajed Choudry, 43, was left in a coma after the violent attack on him and his son Ahsan Choudry, 24, near his Lancashire home in November.

Sajed suffered a collapsed right lung and sustained a bleed on the brain after the assault in Blackburn.

He underwent a 14-hour operation to have his ears re-attached, using a skin graft from his legs to complete the surgery.

But he died in hospital on December 13.

Syed Akbar, 44, has been charged with murder and attempted murder, Lancashire Police have confirmed.

Syed was arrested on Sunday and is due to appear at Preston magistrates' Court on Monday.

A 24-year-old man who was seriously injured during the incident is still recovering.

Shortly after the attack, Sajed's daughter Mariya Choudry, 22, said the family were in shock about the incident.

She said: "I feel totally numb right now. I can't describe how I feel. I have lived on that street for 15 years and have never seen anything like it."

Mariya, a healthcare worker, remained by her dad's bedside from the day he was admitted to A&E.

Rafaqat Ali, 38, Fazal Ilahi, 62, and Sadaqat Ali, 36, all from Blackburn, have already been charged with murder and attempted murder.

A 13-year-old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons has been charged with the same offences.