US President Donald Trump is considering pardoning television personality Martha Stewart.

“I think to a certain extent Martha Stewart was harshly and unfairly treated,” he told reporters aboard air force One overnight, the New York Postreports.

“And she used to be my biggest fan in the world … before I became a politician,” he said. “But that’s okay, I don’t view it that way.”

Stewart was found guilty in 2004 of conspiracy charges and of making false statements to federal investigators during an insider-trading investigation into her sale of ImClone stock just before it plunged in value.

She spent five months in a federal prison in West Virginia, and served another five months under house arrest.

Mr Trump appears to be right that she is no longer a fan of his — she gave the finger to a portrait of him at an art fair in New York last year.

However, while Mr Trump is no doubt displeased at Stewart’s comments about him those feelings pale in comparison to how he feels about the man who prosecuted her case.

The US lawyer for the Southern District of New York in 2003 who got Stewart thrown in prison was none other than former FBI boss James Comey.

Mr Comey was fired by Mr Trump last year and has since written a book scathing about the US President.

Mr Trump also said he was thinking of commuting the sentence of disgraced former politician Illinois Govenor Rod Blagojevich.

Blagojevich has been behind bars since 2012 and is about halfway through serving a 14-year-sentence on public corruption charges for trying to sell a state Senate seat once held by Barack Obama.

“Plenty of other politicians have said a lot worse. And it doesn’t, he shouldn’t have been put in jail,” Mr Trump said.

“If you read his statement it was a foolish statement there was a lot of bravado.”

In 2010, Mr Trump fired Blagojevich when he appeared on his Celebrity Apprentice show on NBC.

In a commentary piece published in the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, Blagojevich claimed he was the victim of the country’s out-of-control law enforcement agencies.

“The rule of law is under assault in America. It is being perverted and abused by the people sworn to enforce and uphold it,” he wrote in the newspaper. “Some in the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation are abusing their power to criminalise the routine practices of politics and government. ”

President Trump has been focused on pardoning in recent days. He granted a full pardon to conservative filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza who was convicted of making illegal contributions in a Senate race in New York.

“Will be giving a Full Pardon to Dinesh D’Souza today. He was treated very unfairly by our government! ​,” he tweeted.

A day earlier he also met with Kim Kardashian at the White House to discuss the pardoning of US grandmother Alice Marie Johnson, who is serving a life sentence without parole for a first-time, nonviolent offence. She’s been in an Alabama prison for 21 years.